Preparing for your Body Fat Analysis
You should not schedule the exam within one week after having an MRI or a CT exam, or any other scan that uses barium, a radioisotope injection, or oral or intravenous contrast material. Also, be sure to let us know if you are currently pregnant.
When you come in for the exam, you will need to:
- Remove all metal objects that may interfere with the exam; jewelry, hair accessories, and glasses.
- Wear a T-shirt and elastic waist shorts.
- No metal zippers or bulky clothes.
- If you are not dressed accordingly, you will be asked to wear a gown during the scan.
- Nothing by mouth (NPO) for four hours prior to the exam.
You may return to your normal activities immediately following the exam.
Although there is some risk of X-ray exposure, it is well below the level that causes any adverse affects. It is roughly equivalent to an afternoon in the sun.