Breast Exam Preparation
** If you are visiting RDC for the first time to receive your mammogram and have had a previous mammogram completed at another facility, it is essential for you to bring your films with you to your appointment. This provides the radiologist with a method of comparison. A delay in providing comparison films will cause a delay in providing your exam report.
2D Digital Mammogram/ 3D Mammogram (Tomosynthesis)
- No dusting powders or deodorant. Underarms should be free of chemicals.
- For your comfort, if you experience monthly breast tenderness, schedule your mammogram when you are least sensitive.
Whole Breast Ultrasound
- There is no preparation for a whole breast ultrasound.
- You can expect the exam to take 20-30 minutes.
- The ideal time to schedule your exam is after the 10th day following the first day of your menstrual cycle.
- Nothing by mouth except water 2 hours for IV contrast. Patient should keep hydrated.
- No solid food or other liquids.
- No dusting powder or deodorant.
- No hormones for one month (may not apply to all patients).
- May take medications with water only.
- Remove all jewelry and piercings prior to exam.
- No anticoagulants (blood thinners) 72 hours prior to exam and 12 hours after procedure.
- Coumadin, Heparin, Aspirin, Advil, Naprosyn, Aleve
- Breasts and underarms should be washed thoroughly.
- No dusting powders or deodorants.
- Wear a sports bra/extra supportive bra.
- No strenuous activity for 48 hours after your procedure.